Frustrated by missing those big trades?
Spotted an opportunity, then talked yourself out of it…. and it ran and ran? Now that’s annoying.
If you’re new to trading the markets, or you’ve recently joined this exciting trading journey after attending a beginners’ course in trading – you may well have experienced this frustration.
Perhaps you’re just not spotting the big trades, and feel that you’re missing out. Is this just part of the rollercoaster that we all know as trading the markets?
We look here at some of the reasons why you might be missing key trades.
Here’s 7 questions to ask yourself:
- Are you confident in your trading strategy?
- Are you absolutely clear about how the strategy works?
- Are you allowing your emotions (namely fear and greed) to drive your actions?
- Are you risking too much in each trade, meaning that the stakes are too high, each and every time?
- Are you failing to read the charts correctly?
- Do you lack discipline, and find yourself too easily distracted?
- Are you following a tight trading plan and tracking your trades correctly?
If you find yourself answering YES to any of these questions, then it’s time to take stock.
Even answering YES to one of these questions, you could be at risk of damaging your trading success. You’ll be making it that much harder for yourself without the necessary tools or training to do the job effectively. Like any other profession or career choice, traders need the tools, training, support and guidance to work well. There is no short cutting it.
The consequences of limited or poor trader education is confusion and mis-judgement leading to mistakes. YouTube is certainly no replacement for a comprehensive quality education.
Solutions can include:
- carefully documenting all your trades (winning and losing), and including those which you spotted but decided not to take, as a means of enabling full analysis
- back testing and constant review of effectiveness of strategies
- acknowledging that some trades will always go against you, however experienced you become. The trick of course, is to keep these ones small.
- setting trade alerts
- building watch lists,
- reviewing your trading plan, and making some decisions, for example: perhaps deciding to only take the very best set ups, picking a time frame and committing to only trading within that time frame
To conclude, many people succeed at making trading their full time job. Whether you are swing trading or day trading, it can be a thrilling ride on the good days, sometimes maddening on a bad day. We’ve all heard the expression ‘the never-ending buffet’ meaning that there are always more choices and new opportunities ahead. So missing a winning trade isn’t the biggest problem. Instead it should be an opportunity to reflect, to document, and to retain calm objectivity in preparation for the next trade of the day.
Our students find that our community of traders are supportive. Working with fellow traders is a great way to stay on track, to remind each other of the basic lessons.
To find out more, tune into our programmes to participate in our Monday Night Scan Club. See Lee and Greg build a Hotlist each week for big potential trades, which helps finding big trades setting up for that week.
Lee is qualified at The Society of Technical Analysts, having passed his MSTA and CFTe with flying colours. To see Lee and our coaches use technical analysis, you can access our Live Trading Room 5 days a week. If you’re looking to step into the world of online trading, we’d like to help. We offer both courses and mentoring opportunities to help you trade with skill and confidence. Come along to our free Learn to Trade Live one-day course to really get your foot in the door! See here for more details and to find a date near you.
10 Habits of highly successful traders 1. Successful traders have total belief and faith in their strategy They never move away from their setups or money management. There not always looking for the next best indicator or setup. They have found what works and they...
Just a few of the Pro-Trading System Trades in 2019 It’s nearly the end of the year and so it’s time to look at some of the swing trades from 2019. Before we do, I would personally like to wish you a Happy New Year and I hope 2020 will be a profitable one for you....
What Is The Mighty Momentum Trigger Trading Strategy?One of my favourite and go to strategies for day trading the markets is the Momentum Trigger. Its simplicity and process make it truly 'mighty' for any trader that is struggling to make a profit. A simple...