Here are some often asked general enquires. If need further assistance please contact us.
I’ve heard trading profits are tax-free, is that right?
Yes all spread-betting profits are tax-free. Profits from the trading of CFDs are not and must therefore be declared. However, most of our students trade in spread-betting accounts to maximise profits.
I'm new to trading, will this be for me?
We have courses for everyone, from complete beginners to those who are more experienced in trading. Some programmes can be personalised.
If you’re not sure that trading is for you, please come into the office to meet our team, give us a call for a chat, or please come to one of our low-cost courses to dip a toe in the water to find out the basics. Our regular ‘Learn to Trade Live’ courses are designed to give initial access to our team, our services and our programme so that you can make a fully informed decision about whether this is right for you.
Please click here to book.
I wish to trade with a partner / wife / husband, are there any special offers for us?
You are certainly able to bring a guest for every place booked at a ‘Learn To Trade Live’ course. Please call the office and explain your situation. We’ll certainly help if we can.
What sort of people usually do well at trading?
We teach all sorts of people. Teachers, business owners, engineers, builders, sales managers, drivers, parents, office workers, nurses and more. The characteristics that they have in common is a passion to learn the skills necessary to trade the markets successfully. If you can work to a plan with discipline and follow rules, have decent IT skills and the ability to remain calm under pressure, then you give yourself the best chance of success.
I am an experienced trader, but I am not yet consistently profitable. Can you help?
Yes, we offer courses for traders of all levels, including experienced traders. We offer trader education, plus a live trading room, alerts, software, support and guidance. Call the office to speak to one of our traders / coaches, as we’d love to help you get consistently profitable.
When is your office open?
The office is open Monday to Friday (excluding UK bank holidays) from 9am to 5.30pm.
Some courses run on Saturdays.
Live trading room and evening webinars run outside of regular office hours.
Where are you located?
Our offices are based in Teddington, South West London. You’re welcome to come down and visit us if you wish, but we do ask that you make an appointment prior to doing so.
How do I make contact?
You can contact us by calling 0203 005 4905, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is a live chat option on the website, and we regularly monitor our social media channels.
When are the markets open?
The forex markets, for example, are open 24 hours a day, but closed at weekends.
Can I trade around my day job?
Yes, the majority of our students are in work. There are numerous ways to trade around the day job. Our online courses provide flexible learning, our webinars are recorded and posted promptly for you to watch at your leisure.
As well as courses, what else do you offer?
Trading College offers online education, face to face courses, membership services, mentoring, indicators, alerts and software, The Pro Trading System, Live Trading Room, technical assistance – and support.
We are developing material and new products all the time.
What do I need to get started?
Please see our blog called, “What you need to get started…” posted on the website.
In brief, you’ll need:
- A laptop /PC with no less than 8GB RAM, I5 Intel processor & a Nvidia graphics card
- A brokerage account, to include a demo facility whilst you learn
- Good internet access of a speed no less than 17 mb/s, (and you should consider a back up internet connection)
- Adequate funds to trade with
- A chart package such as Pro Real Time, MT4 or Tradestation;
- Mobile phone for ‘alerts’ and to participate in online support groups
What will I be trading?
You can trade almost anything from gold, oil, soya beans, and foreign exchange. If you’d like to trade something in particular, please get in touch and we can discuss your options.
How do I spot scams?
Trader education is not regulated by the FCA. If you have any concerns about scams you should seek advice immediately through your bank, from Action Fraud or by contacting the police.
Some common sense advice includes:
- If it sounds too good to be true it usually is
- Do not invest in an organisation that contacted you first, without proper investigation on your part
- Be wary of overseas brokers claiming to trade for you. If they say that they are FCA regulated, ask yourself why the UK’s FCA would be covering an overseas business
- Avoid paying by bank transfer into a bank account. It’s usually safer to use a credit card, but please note that there may be a deadline for your application to retrieve lost funds.
- Keep an eye on the current scams doing the rounds
- Always check for online reviews, and do plenty of independent research
- If you have been scammed, be careful if you are contacted by a debt recovery agency shortly after, as this may be a route into getting scammed a second time.
- If in any doubts, seek independent financial advice
Our advice, move slowly. Don’t rush your decisions. Nothing beats learning this industry and how to trade for yourself, on your own terms, in control of your own fund.
How do I get set up with the right broker?
You can use any broker you wish, or if you need some assistance in choosing you can see our trusted brokers page for more information. We recommend starting in a demo account whilst you’re learning and transferring to a live account when you feel you’re ready and seeing consistent results.
Search FAQs by category
Need advice or assistance? Contact one of our course advisors